Thursday, October 27, 2011

Just "KISS" It and Make It Better

My husband, James, and I have shared several memorable moments...a lot of them quite humorous.  I can actually boast that I can even manage to make my husband laugh when I am asleep.  On one particular night about five years ago when I was pregnant with Jaxson, James was awakened by the sound of me talking in my sleep. 
Now before that occasion, I was never aware of the fact that I talked in my sleep.  I had spent the majority of my adult life as a single person.  So finding out that I talked in my sleep either proved or disproved my theory about most single people; they never talk in their sleep, because no one is there to hear it (similar to the tree falling in the woods theory). Since, in fact, no one was there to hear me except for my cat, I don't believe I talked in my sleep when I was single.  This phenomenon surely did not occur until I was married...and had to be a rare occasion, at that.
However, on that night, James was roused from his sleep by my mumbling and then he heard me loudly and quite clearly say the words, "KISS It!"  Then I rolled over and resumed my silent slumber. 
The next morning, he told me what happened.  He was quite intrigued about what...or whom...I had been dreaming about. Was I telling someone off?  Was I flirting with someone? Just what had provoked my wise-crack?  I didn't have a clue!  I didn't remember dreaming about anything...or anyone...at all.  That's one of the strange things about pregnancy; progesterone can really create some havok between restful zzzzzz's!  While I was pregnant, I dreamed about everything from nursing kittens to all my teeth falling out.  But God only knows who or what I was telling to "KISS It" that particular night.
I may not have recalled whom or what I was speaking to, but I did have some idea why I had said those choice words.  The word, KISS, just happens to be one of my favorite mantras.  Those who have worked with me have more than likely heard me say it on more than one occasion.
You see, one of my biggest pet peeves is when someone takes a situation and employs every possible measure to make it more complex than it needs to be.  I have known people that over-think, over-do, over-work and over-stress just about everything they do.  I think these kind of people must thrive on drama and getting lost in unnecessary details. 
Not me!  The older I get, the more I appreciate the theory of "less being more" and enjoy having a less complicated life.  And although I was born a Type A personality, it has become my aspiration to morph into a Type B! I made the conscious choice to SIMPLIFY my life...or OUR life, as I should say, because it did take my husband and I being on the same page with this philosophy to make it work!
Having more material possessions did not make me happier...it just gave me more things to take care of, more things to clean, more things to organize, more things to get rid of!  Having debt gave me more worries and stress.  I had to work harder to pay off the debt.  I had to spend too much energy running on the hampster wheel keeping track of the bills and paying them.  In most cases, the only thing I had to show for my debt was a monthly statement. Even the most experienced world travelers will tell you; you will travel easier and further if you have a lighter load in your backpack! I plan to enjoy the rest of my journey.
So should you ever hear me utter the words, "KISS It!"...just keep in mind I am attempting to apply my life philosophy to a particular situation.  If you haven't figured out what my mantra stands for, then I will share it with you, "Keep It Simple, Stupid!"
I try to apply this philosophy to just about every aspect of my daily life.  If there is a simpler, easier, quicker way that requires less time or energy to get something done, that's the way I want to do it!  Whenever I have approached the task of coming up with a new recipe...or even writing a cookbook...I have sealed it with a big KISS!
However, my sister, Lori, has her own philosophy that, "you can't fix stupid"...but that's a whole other story. ;-) Have a blessed day and if you find yourself in a stressful situation, try to "KISS It!" and make it better!

No comments:

Post a Comment